FreePint Newsletter

Monday 30 January 2012

A brief return to Character-based LMS and the inevitable Public library staff consultation processes

The end of week one in the public library service.  I have to admit a certain fondness for the old Dynix system that is currently used to circulate materials around the Borough.  It looks so 'institutional' with its DOS-style interface. Thinking about it, it had probably been at least 10 years since I typed my last 'dot command'.  The planned upgrade is currently out to tender and my contract will have ended well before they select a new system but it is clear that they have a need for more flexibility in the system they choose.  Being able to access any record from any module rather than having to be at a particular screen being a major gripe for staff users.  The fact that every system on the market has conquered this issue, as well as including features the staff will never have time to develop, means that the decision is likely to come down to cost and ease of migration, rather than user needs.

The branch of the library where I spent my first week is a fine old building and of course it has accessibility issues. There are plans to carry out refurbishment works, but the date is yet to be confirmed.  The organisation of stock is interesting, and I would venture that it is not intuitive to the customers.  I realise it is down to best use of the space, but searching for an author, the book may be in the general fiction alphabetically, or in the paperback racks (loosely alphabetical), or in the Crime, Horror, or SciFi/Fantasy shelves (alphabetical again) or the crime paperback racks (organised by the Tasmanian Devil).  Unless it is Junior Fiction which could be on a different shelf downstairs, or possibly anywhere upstairs.  I consider myself to be able to master a class scheme same-day, but I admit defeat when searching for items  in these collections!

As with almost every other Borough, this one is making cuts to services, and is looking to reduce the library staff significantly.  Redundancy offers have been made and withdrawn and staff have been told to apply for whatever jobs exist after consultation and a restructuring exercise (which coincides with the end of my contract, so thankfully I am not viewed as a threat).
The team are stoically professional and there is very little evidence of the stress that they are all under.  It is unfortunate that staff who have dedicated time and effort to maintaining a useful service will more or less have to compete with each other for what remains of their jobs.  It is also sad to see that collections of materials on local history will no longer be updated. Photographs in the current collection are being scanned and presumably they will need to rely on independent local history groups to collect new data or have no new data at all.

I have met a great team in my first week and have been thoroughly trained up.  Next week I go to a different branch, with a very different customer base....

No comments:

Post a Comment