FreePint Newsletter

Wednesday 26 September 2012

Anybook - a Work of Genius

So my first task in my role as supervisor of a College Learning Resource Centre was to deal with Withdrawn Stock.
The Manager had been through the collection like the proverbial dose of salts and extracted anything 'old' and anything that had not been checked out for the last five years.  This turned out to be several thousand items.
Firstly these had to be checked by the Tutors to ensure we didn't throw away valuable reference items.
Most Tutors had been through the mountain of books before my arrival and the process of removing their records from the catalogue had begun.
In my first week, I worked with my new colleague to review the remaining items and begin removing these from the catalogue too.  Using the Heritage system for the first time I logged a query with them about the quickest way to change the status of scanned items. I was surprised to learn that there was no quick and definitive way to do this.  Using Dynix in my last role I was able to ask the system to change the status of scanned items and then go through scanning one after another. This meant that if something was not recognised in the scan it was identified immediately and set to one side.  In Heritage, the method was to scan everything to a list and then run this list through a report that would change the status. Any items that had not been recognised by the scan had to be sifted out via a second report.
Not ideal.
However, eventually all the books were withdrawn from the system and the question remained about how to get rid of them.
There were more than would fit in the municipal bins, and only a third would have been easily recycled.  It was clear the college were not keen on arranging a skip or any other method of disposal.
I began to dispair until I noticed an advert in the CILIP Update about a company called Anybook.
Basically, Anybook will take any book off your hands and will either try and sell it, or recycle it humanely.  Understandably, Anybook are very busy and couldn't come immediately, but when they did come and collect, they took everything we had withdrawn.
Do you know, even if they don't sell a single item I'll be pleased as it was a no-hassle solution to my immediate problem. I'll keep you informed if they do manage to sell anything!

So, next task, getting the Tutors interested in electronic books...

No comments:

Post a Comment